Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rhythm.

rhythmNoun/ˈriT͟Həm

1. A strong, regular, repeated pattern of movement or sound.
2. The systematic arrangement of musical sounds, principally according to duration and periodic stress.

As a college student, I think this is THE hardest thing to find. We are in a stage in our life where there is constant change. At least I feel like I am. I can never find that "repeated pattern of movement," although I find myself trying to gain it every day. 

I go from having an amazing summer living at the Campbell's residence and working a set schedule to living off campus in an apartment with a friend, attending full time at George Fox, and trying to fit work into that schedule because I have to pay rent. SO HARD! I find myself stressing every day about how much homework I have, how little sleep I get, how I don't get to do anything fun, and I haven't even started my job yet!

I feel like college is always constant change... 
  • Move in as freshman.
  • Start fall semester classes.
  • Leave school for a month for winter beak
  • Completely different spring semester classes.
  • Go home for the summer and lost the school mindset.
  • Move back in to a completely different place on or off campus.
  • Start different classes once again.
  • And repeat all of this chaos for years...
Don't doubt me that my time at Fox has been more than I could ever ask for... But why does it have to be so stressful. I actually did a survey for one of my classes last year and asked the question, "If you could define college in one word, what word would you use?" 71 out of 100 people used the word stress or stressful. I feel like it shouldn't be that way.

Isn't funny that the definition of rhythm even has the word stress in it? I mean, I know it's not saying that literally saying "periodic stress," but that is the way I took it! If you combine the two definitions and mix it up a little you can create the definition: "A strong, regular, repeated pattern of movement, principally according to periodic stress." Now THAT is more like the definition of rhythm. 

Something that I have had a hard time doing lately though is asking the Lord to guide me through it. How can I sit here and complain about how I can't find a rhythm, when I have yet to open my Bible or even pray for God to help me overcome this stage. Instead, I feel like I have let Satan get a foothold on my heart and tug me away. I find myself lately saying, "I'll pray for you." But only saying it because it is the right thing, and not actually doing it. 

I want this "funk" to end.

So Lord, I am asking you right now.
I am asking that you help me get out 
of this foothold and back into Your
arms. I ask that You help me find a 
rhythm that is in the same pattern
as Yours. I pray that You help me be
intentional in the things I say and do.
I pray that You help me get out of this
funk. I trust that You will be there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment