What is our dress going to look like?
What color will our shoes be?
Who will our bridesmaids be?
Will I get married in Hawaii?
But as children, we tend to leave the major detail.....
Who am I going to get married to?
Now that I am in college, the question that always casually gets brought up upon returning home on any visit is, "So are there any boys?" It's quite funny because I would love to say that I have that "one guy." But the truth is... I am so picky! I mean, that really isn't a horrible thing, but sometimes I feel like talking about that question would be so much easier if I could say yes and then get to explain to the questioner about the guy I am interested in.
Something that I think that really tears me up is that I continuously think that I have something to prove. In previous posts, I have talked about how I am not a statistic. I am not part of the 85% of teens with a behavioral disorder that came from a fatherless home. I am not part of the 71% that drops out of high school that came from a fatherless home. I don't have to prove that I am not a statistic because I know I am not. And God is the only person who can judge that.
But what I can do is make sure to marry someone who I know will not even give my children any kind of opportunity to become one of those statistics. I have the ability to marry the man who will be the father that our children need. Tonight, I watched the movie Courageous for the first time and it is amazing. This movie ends with a father standing in front of the church, giving this speech:
"There are some men who, regardless of the mistakes we've made in the past, regardless of what our fathers did not do for us, will give the strength of our arms and the rest of our days to loving God with all that we are and to teach our children to do the same—and whenever possible, to love and mentor others who have no father in their lives but who desperately need help and direction. And we are inviting any man whose heart is willing and courageous to join us in this resolution. God's Word shows is that God desires for every father to be courageous and step up and do whatever it takes to be involved in the lives of his children. More than just being there for them for providing for them, he is to walk with them through their young lives and be a visual representation of the character of God, their Father in Heaven. Who will accept the responsibility of providing and protecting my family? Who will ask God to break the chain of destructive patterns in my family? Who will pray for, and bless my children to boldly pursue whatever God calls them to do? In my home, the decision has already been made. You don't have to ask who will guide my family because, by God's grace, I will. You don't have to ask who will teach my son to follow Christ because I will.
So where are you, men of courage? Where are you, fathers who fear the Lord? It's time to rise up and answer the call God has given you and say, I will! I will! I WILL!"
This movie has really encouraged me to stop trying to prove anything.
This movie has truly shown me that being picky in what I want in a man is probably the most wise thing you can do because in the end, we are the parents that will influence the next generation.
I want a man that is willing to take a stand a be a true father.
I want a man that is willing to Be Courageous.
Lord, I want to thank you for being
my true Heavenly Father. With you—I
don't need to prove anything. I pray that
you give me the patience to wait and not
settle for less than what You want for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment