Mind=Blown.
That was my first initial reaction after reading this.
It has been a couple weeks since I first read this quote, and I think I have beat myself up over the fact that I truly struggle when it comes to living a gracious life! Am I gracious with my apartment gets left a mess? Not usually. To people who are rude? Sometimes. To my friends and family when they really pinch the wrong nerve? Maybe not outwardly. To the several kids that I babysit that constantly pick fights with each other? Not at all.
There are things that I cannot change in the moment, but the way I respond to the situation is definitely what determines the outcome. I am 20 years old and I still find some kind of joy in being able to pick on my little sister sometimes. By all means I should not allow these kids to continue to do so, but do I really need to become instantly annoyed about it? Of course not!
This quote makes me realize that there are often too many instances that I have strived to be perfect. In my life, I have continually told myself that anything less than perfect is not good enough. And it is actually quite funny that I say that because I doubt anyone would have pegged me to be that person. I have made many decisions in my life that would never constitute themselves as perfect, but to me—it was my way of trying to be perfect to someone, in some way.
I have a constant battle with myself over this all the time. Being the perfect friend. At one point—The perfect girlfriend. The perfect roommate. The perfect counselor. The perfect role model. The perfect Christian.
The idea of being a perfect Christian is impossible, yet we see people striving to be this day in and day out. Including myself! 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
What if I could embrace this idea of gracious living and make it the standard for me?
What if I could extend that grace outwardly, making myself a better person?
What if I could accept the grace that is constantly poured out to me and remember that it is perfect?
Sometimes I need to stop, think, and TRULY realize that God DOES see me as perfect in His eyes and it is all because of His marvelous GRACE.
I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection.
Lord, help me see myself as you see me.
Sometimes I try to be a perfectionist, but
if I could truly grasp that you already see
me as perfect, then maybe I will be able to
hold myself to a standard of grace. I want
to knowingly live out a gracious life
and extend that grace to others.

No comments:
Post a Comment