The funny thing is... I had not even realized that it was my 2 month anniversary of going in to remission until I woke up to this sign...
It's crazy how much cancer changes your life. Often for the better.
I've learned what's important in life.
I've learned to prioritize a lot better.
I've learned not to waste a lot of time.
And one of the most important things I've learned is how important it is to tell other people how much they mean to you; tell people you love them.
When I was first diagnosed I found it really easy to look at all the things going wrong in my life and compare them to things going right in other people's lives and sit and curse awhile. But this changed rather quickly for me. I wanted to have a positive attitude through it all, but also making sure that I wasn't hiding my real emotions.
I am still not upset about getting cancer—I'm not depressed, I'm not disappointed, I don't blame God, or wish that things were different. I still think that there are things that cancer taught me that I never would have seen otherwise; I still think that cancer is a good teacher.
But that doesn't mean that I'm particularly happy about it, or that I should be.
I learned so much about what it means to have perseverance.
Perseverance is not continuing a task you enjoy, it is by definition, continuing a task despite your continuing dislike for it.
Being able to persevere does not mean that you necessarily have to be optimistic, but you definitely cannot go around complaining and call that "persevering." I think that in order to claim having perseverance through a cancer battle you must have a certain bit of acceptance for the situation.
I mean, I guess what I am trying to say is that I probably would not be learning anything worthwhile if I liked having cancer. I think that cancer is worthwhile because it is so awful—and it's not until times like there—where I HATE treatments, and I DETEST going to the doctor, that character can really be built.
It has been exactly 102 days since my diagnosis of cancer. That is 3 1/4 months, or 13 weeks, or 2,184 hours—however you want to think of it.
Since then I went through 6 weeks of chemo, helped bring a chemo buddy to Christ before she passed away, spent 3 weeks in Romania, and have started radiation treatments back up.
I have learned so many medical terms that it would take an unbelievable amount of time and space to type them all out on here.
All I can say is that some times the worst thing in your life may contain seeds of the best.
(Blog inspired by something that I read)


You are awesome!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Haley,
ReplyDeleteSure was glad to share this post with my friends on Facebook because I know it will touch a lot of them.
Thanks for your comments there! If you ever see anything that I post that you want to use, feel free to do so.
Thanks again for being real in what you write and share with others. It will touch many!
Blessings and prayers,
Paul
aka The Mayor :-)
Bells,
ReplyDeleteYou are SINGLE-HANDEDLY thee STRONGEST person I have ever met. No matter what life throws at you, you are always making the best of it. You've been through so much, yet you dare blame others or even blink to wonder why? The struggles you have encountered in life, you refuse to let define you and that is a quality in life that many do not have. You really do inspire me to take a different approach in life and I thank you so much for sharing. I think that God has put you on this Earth to share this with all of us and in my eyes, you're truly an angel. I recently have had some changes in my life, which I thought to be life-altering. After reading your story I have a WHOLE different outlook on life and I hope one day I can become even half the person that you are. Thank you so much for inspiring me to become a better person. I Love You!