Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Invitation

It was 6:17am in the morning that my phone alarm started going off.

My first thought was how I needed to change my alarm tone. So annoying.
My next thought was processing out in my head how much time each thing I needed to do this morning would take, just in case there was a possibility that I could stay in bed for at least 10 more minutes.

Then I realized the whole time I sat there processing that out was my 10 extra minutes.

I grumpily rolled out of bed. I felt like I just fell asleep! 

Luckily I showered the night before or else I would be running super late.
I got dressed, threw my hair back, and was ready to start the day.

Still feeling half asleep, I stumbled out to my car to head to work. 

If only I had not laid in bed those extra 10 minutes, I could have had time to get coffee before work!

After work, I went and sat at a coffee shop. I have been all about getting some "me" time to start each day. I sat there for 2 hours reading the book Love Does by Bob Goff (if you haven't read it, here is where I am telling you that it is a must!)

Every chapter is a story within Bob's life that exemplifies how secretly incredible life can be when you allow yourself to step into the spontaneity of God's leading in your life. 

You start to understand that the love of God expressed through Jesus is so much more than a warm, fuzzy feeling towards us. The love of God does so much–it saves, it restores, it renews, it hopes, it perseveres. Only because of the love of God are we able to live and love the same way.

Reading this book has challenged me to look at the small things in a whole new light; each thing has the potential for loving in a way that does something meaningful, lasting, and significant.

My newest challenge has been realizing that sometimes there are things that I don't need an invitation to. 

For example, living life fully.

Maybe that is an invitation that we all turn down too often; that I turn down too often.

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my own routine that I turn down Jesus' invitation to participate. I need to start having things matter to me enough that I can just stop thinking about them, and do something about it.

What if I were to look at my annoying alarm clock every morning as an invitation? An invitation to "live a life of complete engagement, a life of whimsy, a life where love does."

No comments:

Post a Comment