As I had once slightly mentioned in a previous blog, I had heard about someone who lied about having cancer.
Not only did this person "have cancer", but his dad was in prison for most of his life (and so was mine).
At first I was jokingly saying, "He and I are basically twins!"
Then my friend said, "Well except for the whole lying part!"
She then came to the brilliant conclusion...
He stole your story!
Obviously, he didn't really steal it seeing how we have never actually met, but it's fun to say.
When I very first heard about this all, my first reaction was instant confusion. I mean... Why would someone lie about cancer?
Then I came to this point where I felt sorry for him because there must be some reasoning behind why this happened.
Now I just find myself constantly frustrated.
He used a serious illness as a way to benefit himself. Whether he was doing it for the sake of having attention or whether he was doing it for any other reason, I just have such a hard time comprehending it. I don't think that he meant to offend or hurt anyone, but why did he go so far with it? Or why was cancer something he wanted to add to his story?
There are people who have to actually live with cancer and deal with the absolutely shitty-ness of it all. It is not fun. All through my time doing treatments Hell on Earth is the only way that I could describe it.
I mean, yes. A lot of fruit has come from my journey with cancer. I have learned so much. But the amount of suffering and grief that it caused within my friends, family, and myself was nothing that I would ever want to go through again. There are hardships that I face day in and day out. Cancer is not a way to get "benefits."
Cancer is an unwanted battle.
I had a hard time sleeping the other night because I couldn't stop thinking about how I wish I could have met him. I don't think, by any means, that I could have flat out called him out on it, but I would like to think that I could have helped people see that things didn't match up.
I've had several conversations over the last couple of weeks about the grief, anger, sadness, etc. that this has caused around the community. My prayers go out to all of those affected because I would imagine that the emotions coming from this all are deep.
I have had a lot of crap happen throughout my short 20 years of life so far. Things that have become part of my story. A story of redemption. A story that I have come to know is beautiful with all of the trash that's happened.
It just makes me wonder if he is just not confident in how valuable his story is. His real story. Not having a father is a tough battle, and I understand that completely. That alone in itself is a journey that is hard to get through, no matter the circumstances.
I have a feeling that this Kid Who Stole My Story will be consuming a lot of my thoughts for awhile. He is in my prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment