This recovery time is going to be all about milestones for me. It is extremely hard to be held up in bed so much.
I was laying in bed from 10am on Friday until 10am on Sunday.
A whole 48 hours!
If you know me at all, you know that this does not rest well with me. I had to eat gross hospital food (except my first meal after surgery), I couldn't even use an actual bathroom, I still haven't been able to shower since Friday morning, and it hurts to move most of the time.
This morning when I woke up the doctors realized that it had been 24 hours and my fluid bag only had 19mL in it, meaning they were able to remove the tubes from my leg.
After they removed the tube, they bandaged up my leg and said that the physical therapist would be in in about an hour or so to see if I could walk. This brought a huge smile to my face! I think I looked at the clock every minute during that hour hoping that she would be coming in early.
When she walked in the door, I was ready to jump out of bed but little did I realize-my body was definitely not ready to do that.
As soon as I stood up, I was in so much pain that I wanted to lay back down. She continued to inform me that I needed to take some steps. I took about 5 steps and then got back in bed.
This was really frustrating to me. I guess I just had such high expectations for my recovery that I just wished that I wasn't going to be held up for so long.
I was then told that if I could walk down to the end of the hallway without excruciating pain, then I could go home.
Challenge accepted.
I worked hard every other hour to take a couple more steps each time, and the second before last time I realized that it was going to take about 15 steps to get to the end of the hallway. (technically 30 steps because I am counting steps by just my right leg).
So around 4pm I got up out of my bed knowing that this was going to be the time I made it to the end. I started walking and about 3/4 of the way there, my leg was super tired. I never realized how much you use your upper thigh when walking, but I was determined to make it.
When I reached the end of the hallway, I collapsed on the ground in exhaustion and my physical therapist started clapping. This boosted my spirits a whole lot. I haven't started making my trek home yet, but I am pretty sure we are leaving within the next couple of hours. I don't know what my next milestone will be, but I am excited to find the joy in it.
Every single milestone, whether big or small, is a chance to find joy in this hard journey. And a chance to give glory to our Heavenly Father who is in control of every detail in this season of my life.
"Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be all right, and the determined choice to praise God in all things."
I truly believe that in this time of familiar, but unknown territory that by clinging onto God's presence does not show any special strength on my part, but rather that God does provide strength when you need it most.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment