Search This Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blessing Rather Than Burden

It's crazy how quickly my life changed within one month.
Well, I would say that it changed a lot quicker than that...
But today marks one month since the word cancer turned my world upside down.

I always wanted to plan ahead. I would always have a plan as to what I would be doing each day. And that has completely changed. I rarely know what I am going to be doing on an hour-to-hour basis because who knows how I will be feeling.

It's funny how much my relationships and conversations with people have changed.
The majority of my incoming texts consist of asking how I am doing.

And I am not complaining about that all, but I just find it interesting that when I am honest about how I am feeling, it's like all of sudden they become.... Uncomfortable.

I am trying not to bottle up ant feelings I have lately because when I do that, I tend to either not be able to sleep at night when my head hits the pillow, or I find myself crying....A lot. I don't think crying is a bad thing at all, but I am not a fan of crying myself to sleep.

That being said... If you ask how I am doing, be ready for an honest answer. Don't make things awkward by only answering, "Oh..." Which surprisingly has happened quite a bit.

Sometimes I wish that conversations could be normal. I wish that I could sit down with friends and talk about how our weeks are going. Talk about TV shows, boys, family, school, etc. But I have found that those conversations sometimes are disheartening when all that I can say is that I have been laying in bed for weeks while watching TV and movies. I just wish things could go back to the way they were!

I hate feeling like I am a burden.

I don't like when people feel like they have to hang out with me.
I don't mind being home alone.
I don't like when people feel like they have to be texting me.
I don't mind my phone not ringing off the hook.
I don't like when people feel like they have to do everything for me.
I don't mind doing things for myself.

I know that there are people who genuinely want to do these things, so don't take this the wrong way. But for those of you who I know have done it out of sympathy, it can sometimes make things harder for me...

I know that I am only a month in to what is going to be a very long journey, but I just can't wait until the day where things return back to normal...

And by normal I just mean that everything doesn't evolve around me being sick.

Lord, I wish things didn't have to change so
drastically within one month. I pray that You
can make me feel like a blessing in people's 
lives, rather than burden. I just want to feel like 
a normal college student. Enjoying summer break,
even in the midst of being sick. Thank you so much
for genuine friends that you have placed in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hey gal, you are not a burden! I remember when my mother passed away, everyone kept calling and asking how our family was doing. It was super annoying and felt awkward and took me a long time to understand that people just cared about my family and didn't quite know how to act.

    If you're looking to be a normal college student on summer break, you better bust out your swimsuit and show Stella how to ride on Grandpa Alan's boat! :)

    ReplyDelete