Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Just For Laughs Part Two

A lot of people told me that they died laughing from my last post about the funny things people have said, so I started compiling this list as soon as I posted the last one. I actually found a bunch of them in my journal that I totally forgot about! I really enjoy thinking back to all the conversations I had! It puts a big smile on my face! =)

Enjoy!

"So you have non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma?"
"Yeah, that's right."
"Sooo... Are you gonna die? Or is it treatable? Or..."
"Haha, no. I'm not dying."
"Okay, good. Then it shouldn't be that bad, right?"
"I still have cancer, lol. Just because I'm not actually dying doesn't mean treatment is any different."
"Well that's dumb."

"Well how is school going?"
"School has been great, but I am actually not in school at the moment."
"Oh, how come?"
"Health problems, so I took the last few weeks off."
"Do you mind me asking what's wrong? I hope it's not too serious."
"Well, I actually have been battling cancer."
"Oh... Well, I should get going now..."

"I guess it has just been really hard taking this all in."
"Oh yeah. I know how you feel."

"So... Is chemo as bad as it is on TV?"

"So is that one of the bad kinds of cancer?"
"Are there any good kinds of cancer?"

"Sheraya, seriously?!"
"What?? We all gotta fart some time! I am sure everyone in this room is not gonna care about me farting! Plus my doctors tell me to make sure I fart because chemo has caused me to be constipated quite a bit!"
"Ummm... Little bit too much information there, lol."
(9 year old Eric) "That was a fart?! I thought someone did the whoopie cushion!"

(5 year old) "Are you still going to be able to play with me?"
"Yeah, I can still play with you!"
"Okay, good. Cause I can't draw a four square court by myself."

This conversation was held with Sheraya about a week before she passed away. She was really weak at that point, so she wasn't up and about like normal.
(Sheraya to nurse) "Why can't I just at least get up and move around a little bit?!"
(nurse) "Sheraya, your body is so weak. Maybe tomorrow." Nurse exits the room.
"Why are you wanting to get up so bad? When I feel weak, I just never want to move!"
"Well, I adopted this phrase from an older patient here. 'If you keep moving, they can't throw dirt on you!'"

"Your new nickname is Dragon Warrior. Mainly because of our family's love for Kung Fu Panda. I don't know why dragon, but you are a warrior!"

"I know you probably get asked this a ton, but what kind of cancer do you have again?"
"The contagious kind." (sarcastically obviously)
"Wait, what? What kind is that??"

**FYI—My doctor is very sarcastic and we mess with each other a lot.
(doctor) "Haley, I told you that you shouldn't be in the sun because your skin is a lot more sensitive! You are so sunburnt!"
"I'm sorry! I couldn't help it! The sun was just... right there! It was so beautiful outside!"
"Do you want skin cancer too?!"

This was the morning after my 2nd day of IV chemo (which wasn't too back because it was only a half hour long).
(doctor) "How are you feeling today, Haley?"
"Compared to after my first day of chemo, not too bad at all!"
"Well... We'll have to fix that!"

"I've had a lot of radiation so far. I feel like I should be like... Incredible Hulk by now. I feel cheated!"
(doctor) "Well, I would say after about Radiation number...8! Then you'll probably be good!"

**I am putting a 5 year old to bed early on before starting chemo and explaining to her that I would be taking medicine that makes me feel better, but might make my hair fall out**
"Do you want to say your nightly prayers?"
"Yes. Dear God, thank you for helping the doctors give Haley medicine that makes her better. Even if it makes her hair fall out. But please don't make me ever have to take that kind of medicine! Thank you! Amen."

(3 year old) "Haley, can I have a drink of your water?"
"Yeah, here you go."
Takes a drink and hands it back to me.
"Oh no. I'm not gonna get really sick like you, will I?"

(Sheraya) "You are familiar with the cancer diet, right?"
"No! The doctor's never said anything to me about one! What is it?"
"Well, we can eat whatever we want, whenever we want, even ice cream for breakfast!"
"I see, is that because of the nausea?"
"Haha, no! It's because I have cancer! Who is going to tell me no when I tell them I have cancer! You gotta milk it for all it's worth, Haley!"

I don't know if I am going to be able to come up with any more of these unless a lot more funny conversations happen. So.... that was fun! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment